Freshman Bouraeda finishes 2nd in Vegas, marking CU women’s best individual showing this season
By Gary Baines – 02/19/2019
Malak Bouraeda is just halfway through her first season as a college golfer, but even as a freshman, she now owns the best individual finish by a University of Colorado women’s player so far this season.
The 18-year-old from Southlake, Texas hadn’t placed better than 29th in a college tournament before Tuesday, but she bettered that by plenty in finishing second out of 86 players at The Rebel Beach tournament in Las Vegas, Nev.
Bouraeda (pictured in a CU photo) shot rounds of 74-71-71 at Spanish Trail Country Club for an even-par total of 216, which left her behind only champion Elizabeth Prior of host UNLV, who checked in at 209. Bouraeda played the par-5s in 3 under par on Tuesday — carding an eagle, a birdie and two pars — en route to her final-round 71.
As a team, CU finished sixth in the 16-school tournament, posting a 37-over-par 901 total and ending up 23 strokes behind champion Arizona.
Colorado State placed 14th at 937. Senior Katrina Prendergast led the way individually for the Rams by finishing 39th at 232.
The Rebel Beach
Feb. 18-19, 2019 (final) in Las Vegas, Nev.
6. (out of 16 teams) Colorado 299-303-299–901
2. Malak Bouraeda 74-71-71–216
25. Gillian Vance 75-76-77–228
32. Elle Otten 74-80-76–230
36. Kirsty Hodgkins 76-76-79–231
44. Haley Nist 78-80-75–233
63. Kelsey Webster (competing only as individual) 79-84-75–238
14. Colorado State 309-320-308–937
39. Katrina Prendergast 76-80-76–232
50. Ellen Secor 83-76-75–234
56. Saga Traustadottir 76-79-80–235
70. Jessica Sloot 79-86-77–242
85. Haley Greb 78-85-93–254
44. Coloradan Anna Kennedy, BYU 77-80-76–233