About the Academy
Founded in 2012 at CommonGround Golf Course, the Academy creates opportunities for young people to develop leadership skills and enhance character through a foundation built around caddying.
Through a two-year caddie-training program, young men and women have the unique opportunity to learn and benefit from the game of golf, not from a book or a junior golf program, but rather through caddying. Caddie grants will be provided to underprivileged children in order to provide them with a chance learn the caddie trade, develop skills that they will use both on and off the golf course. Caddies start in the Academy upon completion of their 8th grade year. Following the completion of this program they are placed into an existing and successful caddie program in the Denver Metro Area.
While caddying is the focus, student caddies are required to attend weekly leadership meetings and fulfill a community service requirement by working closely with one of the community partners who host golf programs at CommonGround Golf Course.
The Solich Academy has three chapters, all structured the same way with the same application requirements. The kids in each chapter complete the same requirements in order to receive their monthly educational grant.
- CommonGround chapter: the initial chapter of the Academy, founded in 2012. The chapter is based at CommonGround Golf Course in Aurora
- Meridian chapter: in 2015, the Meridian Chapter was launched at Meridian Golf Course
- Grand Junction chapter: in 2017, the Solich Caddie & Leadership Academy expanded to Grand Junction at Lincoln Park Golf Course and Tiara Rado Golf Course
- Age – kids are accepted into the Academy on completion of their 8th grade year in school (after two years in the Academy kids will be placed into another caddie program in the Denver Area)
- Academic Excellence – kids are required to hold a minimum GPA of a 3.0 (report cards will be requested when kids apply)
- Financial Need – Family income should be $80,000 or less
- Work Ethic and Attitude – kids who are accepted into the Academy do not need to have any background in golf but they do need to have a great work ethic and positive attitude
Requirements Once Accepted
If the kids are accepted into the Solich Academy they must complete monthly requirements in order to receive their educational grant of $400 for the month.
- Loops – kids must complete 12 loops a month and 36 loops by the end of the summer
- Leadership Classes – kids must attend weekly leadership classes which are held on Mondays from 1pm-2pm
- Volunteer Hours – kids must volunteer for 2 hours a month and 6 hours by the end of the summer (they can volunteer with one of our development programs at CommonGround or another organization)
- Work Log – kids must complete a monthly work log that documents what they learned while caddying, in leadership classes and volunteering
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Who do I contact for more information on the program?
A: Contact Emily Olson at 816-820-8819 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: How do I apply?
A: Click on the Apply button on the bottom of this page.
Q: How old do I need to be?
A: Kids are accepted into the Academy upon completion of their 8th grade year in school.
Q: How long is the program?
A: The Solich Academy starts Memorial Day weekend and goes for 10 weeks until school starts.
Q: Do I need to play golf or know a lot about the sport?
A: Kids do not need to know anything about golf in order to participate in the Solich Caddie & Leadership Academy. Kids will be taught everything they need to know during training. If kids do have a background in golf that will be helpful for them.
Q: How do I get paid?
A: If kids complete all of their monthly requirements, they will be paid with an educational grant of $400 a month for a total of $1200.00 by the end of the summer. Kids may also receive tips from golfers upon completion of a loop but this is not mandatory of the golfer.
Q: What do I wear when caddying?
A: Kids wear a white collared shirt, khaki pants or shorts and tennis shoes. They will be provided with a hat to wear as well.
Q: Where does The Solich Caddie & Leadership Academy take place?
A: All training and caddying is done at the respective courses depending on which chapter you participate in. Leadership classes are held at Aurora Academy for the CommonGround and Meridian chapters. Leadership classes are held at Lincoln Park GC for the Grand Junction chapter.
Q: How long is training?
A: Training takes place throughout the month of April after school and on some weekends.
Q: What is involved in leadership?
A: Leadership classes are a mandatory part of this program. Classes are an hour long and run for 8 weeks right in the middle of the summer.
Q: How am I assigned loops?
A: Kids will be assigned their loops the night before via email.
Q: What happens after I complete the program?
A: After two years in the program, kids are placed into another caddie program in their area. Emily Olson will work with the kids on what club is most convenient for them and will set up meetings with the kids, their parents and the new club they will be moving to.