CSU’s Gunnar Broin fires 71 at Oakmont in U.S. Am; DU’s Jackson Solem, CU’s Adam Matteson post 72s at companion course
By Gary Baines – 8/9/2021
Jackson Solem of Longmont opened with a solid 2-over-par 72 and two other competitors who play their college golf in Colorado also are in the top 90 players out of a field of 312 after Monday’s first round of the U.S. Amateur in Pennsylvania.
Colorado State University golfer Gunnar Broin, from Minnesota, had the third-lowest round of the day at the formidable Oakmont Country Club as he carded a 1-over-par 71. Overall, Broin stands in 61st place after day 1.
Meanwhile, Solem played his opening round at Longue Vue Club, where the University of Denver golfer carded four birdies, four bogeys and a double bogey. He shares 83rd place going into Tuesday’s final round of stroke play. In Solem’s case, he’ll tee it up on Tuesday at Oakmont.
Also shooting a 72 on Longue Vue was University of Colorado golfer Adam Matteson, who made a birdie and three bogeys on Monday.
The top 64 players after Tuesday’s last round of stroke play will advance to match play, which begins on Wednesday.
Here are the U.S. Amateur scores for all the players with strong Colorado ties:
61. CSU golfer Gunnar Broin of Chanhassen, Minn. 71 (Oakmont)
83. DU golfer Jackson Solem of Longmont 72 (Longue Vue)
83. CU golfer Adam Matteson of San Diego 72 (Longue Vue)
244. CSU golfer Connor Jones of Westminster 79 (Oakmont)
244. Sean Crowley of Columbine Valley 79 (Longue Vue)
278. UNC golfer TJ Shehee of Mead 81 (Longue Vue)
For all the scores from the U.S. Amateur, CLICK HERE.