The Colorado Golf Association welcomed women golfers from across the state for its Niblick Tournament on June 21, 2023. The competition returned to CommonGround Golf Course where the tournament first debuted in 2006.
This year marked the 18th edition of the annual Niblick, an event in which all competitors must have handicaps between 18 and 36. The field was made up of 55 teams of two players divided into six flights.
Lesley Ackerman and Rhonda Sparlin (Legacy Women’s Golf Association) of the fourth flight were this year’s overall champions with a total net of 64. The pair finished 8-under-par, two shots better than the second-place score of 66.
The Gross winners for each flight are as follows:
– First: JoAnn Smith and Barbara Harrison, 83 (Foothills LGA-18)
– Second: Brenda Chergo and Monita Pacheco, 84 (West Woods WGA 18, Willis Case WGA)
– Third: Dana Murray and Sally Grieser, 86 (Commonground WGC)
– Fourth: LaVerne Brookie and Sherri Fields, 89 (Homestead Weekend Women)
– Fifth: Marcia Hall and Susie Goldberg, 89 (Overland Park WGC, Colorado State Senior WGA)
– Sixth: Sandra Schnitzer and Bunny Ambrose, 91 (Broadlands WGA 18, Riverdale WGA)
The net winners for each flight are as follows:
– First: Jenny Elliott and Nanette Neelan, 67 (Foothills LGA-18, Fox Hollow LGA-18)
– Second: Michelle Stanek and Kim Grant, 66 (Homestead Weekend Women)
– Third: Jeanette Paone + Susie Bucholz, 69 (Overland Park WGC, Overland Park GC Associate Club)
– Fourth: Elizabeth Carter and Monica Kjosen, 69 (Pikes Peak Women Golfers)
– Fifth: Liz Hafler and Lori Amys, 69 (Spring Valley Women, Aurora Working Women’s League)
– Sixth: Kathy O’Shaughnessy and Lynne Hansen, 69 (City Park Women Golfers)
The tournament uses a 4-Ball Stroke Play format with each partner playing her own ball. The lower of the partners’ scores is used as the team score for the hole. Each team is pre-flighted according to their combined Playing Handicap.
Did you know? The term “niblick” comes from the name of golf’s earliest “wedges” and was used for short approach and bunker shots.
To see results from the day, CLICK HERE.
To view photos from the day, CLICK HERE.